Participation in the competition is open to everyone of all ages and nationalities, both amateur and professional photographers, being the authors of the images submitted and holding the rights to the latter, without any restriction from agencies or companies.
Participation is free of charge and exclusively on-line through the contest website from December 2nd to January 24th 2020 at 23:59 CET: https://www.concursofioextremadura.es
The competition theme is based on ‘Wild Birds’, with the following categories:
- C1 Bird portraits. Images depicting the nature of the bird, its features and most distinctive details. The subject may be portrayed in part or as a whole, but the image must transmit intensity through its posture, appearance, expression, plumage, etc. The bird must be the main element of the composition.
- C2 Birds in their environment. Images showing a close relationship between the bird and its environment. The surroundings must play an important part in the composition.
- C3 Birds in action. Images of birds in action (in flight, flocking, bathing, fighting, courting, hunting or feeding, etc.) where distinct aspects of behavior are captured. Special credit will be given for images of a dynamic and energetic nature, acknowledging the difficulty in achieving the shot.
- C4 Artistic vision of birds. Images in which creativity and artistic interpretation offer some new perspective on the bird, allowing the use of special techniques.
- C5 Young photographers. Images of bird taken by young photographers, under the age of 18. Under 18’s may take part in this category only.
- Special Prize ‘Extremadura Photographer’. From all the images submitted to the competition, one photograph will be selected which was taken by a photographer either born or resident in Extremadura, with special priority given to images showing the species, habitats or key locations of the region.
Calendar of the competition
- Presentation of images: from December 2nd to January 24th 2020 at 23:59 CET
- Deliberation of the jury to assess the images and request the RAW and high-resolution file: from January 25th to February 6th 2020
- Deliberation meeting of the jury to choose the winning images and finalists: from February 7th to February 9th 2020
- Communication via e-mail to the winners and finalists: from February 10th 2020
- FIO 2020 Awards Ceremony: February 29th 2020
- Overall winner FIO 2020. Prize: € 1,650
- Prize category C1, C2, C3 & C4 FIO 2020. Prize: € 700
- Award category C5 ‘Young Photographers’. Value of € 550
- Special Prize ‘Extremadura Photographer’. Prize: € 700
The jury will select the image for Overall Winner from the winning entries to categories C1, C2, C3, and C4. The Overall Winner Prize FIO 2020 will only receive the prize of € 1.650 instead of the prize money for the winning category.